Friday, January 3, 2014

My Commitment : 500 words a day

This afternoon as I browse my news feed, something caught my attention. That thing was this post by Jeff Goins:


                        My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge

You love writing but have never been good at the whole discipline thing. Everyone says you ought to be writing every day, but how?

My 500 Words is a 31-day challenge designed to help you answer that question. It will help you get more disciplined, hone your craft, and finally become the writer you’ve dreamed of being.
Ready to get started? Read below to get all the details…

            500 Words for 31 days. Grabbed from Jeff's blog: http://goinswriter.com/my500words/

I read the entire details and…

Yes, I signed up to join this activity.

Honestly, the thing that pushed me to sign up is that I want to get in a habit of writing. Aside from my school works and required stuffs, I haven't written anything that is substantial or worth reading for.

It is because I have been an inferior kiddo. I always think that somebody is better than I and I'm still half-baked. "I won't be able to write anything that is worth reading for so why would I bother to write?” 

This was my mentality before that's why my blog was empty for the last five months and I wrote halfheartedly.

So here I am.

I'm taking a step outside of my comfort zone to bring back my love for my pen and paper.

I know that it won't be an easy journey. I know that I'm currently writing my undergraduate thesis and that my majors demand so much time for readings and researches. But my academic subjects are not a reason for me to stop learning outside the four corners of my classroom. My professors taught me a lot of wonderful things; now is the time for me to apply it in my daily living.

Once, Jeff Goins posted a quote that the line of thought is this: you start to become what you want to become when you say that you are. You start to become an artist when you say that you are one. You start to become a writer when you say that you are one.

I have been saying that I am a writer but I did not say it with all of my heart.

Do you want to know why?

It is because at the back of my mind, I really doubt if I am really a writer or if I have the so called “x-factor” to become one. It is for these reasons that I cannot become what I want to become for I am shackled by my own inferiority.

Jeff’s challenge touched the core of my heart.

I hereby made this public declaration in my Facebook account:

I, Genelizette D. Palomar, 20 years of age, and a citizen of the Republic of the Philippines, commit to write a 500 word post in my blog for 31 days which will start from January 2 and will end in February 3, 2014 in order to get into the habit of writing. She is not making this public post to call for attention; this pledge is a sign of commitment so that during the duration of the challenge, she will have a motivation to keep her word to uphold her integrity as a young lady and an aspiring writer.

2 comments: